Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Passion

I have been thinking about this word "passion" recently, as in, find your passion and if you do you'll never "work" a day in your life. I believe that we are all given gifts and talents and that when we match those gifts and talents with a passion, that we have the capacity to do great work. Passion is about love and a hunger that simply compels you. You have no choice. You have to walk down that path that pulls so strongly at your heart. That's what I hope for all teachers - to have deep within their being - a passion and a love for what they do. Work fills such a large part of our lives. If we do what we really believe in, we will do great work. But, the only way to do great work is to be passionate - to love what you are doing. If you do what you are called to do, you will never be tired. And if you are tired, you may not be walking the path you were meant to walk. Everyone deserves to look back at their life's work with deep satisfaction. Teachers who have that sense of knowing that they are where they are suppose to be are able to give of themselves. Those that don't, owe it to themselves and to the children and families that walk through their door, to abandon this work and find the work that will make them happy.

Do you have a passion for your work?

3 comments:

Melanie Holtsman said...

I have such a love affair with what I do I was thinking of starting a live-your-passion - aholics anonymous group. I spend so much time doing what I love and want to do...I have to stop and remind myself about "stuff" I need to get done (cleaning, errands, etc.) I guess it's good problem to have.

Suzanne said...

As a coach, I get the great pleasure of visiting all teacher's classrooms and watching instruction across the school. In a passionate teacher's classroom the atmosphere exudes an energy that inspires. You can tell they are satified with their life's work, in turn they have passionate dedicated students.

I certainly have found the craft that is my calling, and I hope that everyone with a classroom of kids feels the same way. Passionate teachers can and will change their future forever.

Moena Perry said...

There is something to say about loving what you do. My mom often shares with me the pain and agony of what it feels like to have a job that you are not passionate about. She reminds me of how impressed she is with my level of excitment when I talk to her about my career.
I love what I do and the people I work with. I am extremely passionate about it, and for the amount of money I get paid to do it----------------- the only logically answer to WHY I do it; would be PASSION!
Great Topic