Saturday, April 13, 2013

#1stchat

So... at the suggestion of friend and PLP Editor John Norton, I have downloaded Kathy Cassidy's new "book,"  an e-book, Connected from the Start.  I know Kathy's work because she is a 1st grade teacher who has been "the" voice for how first grade teachers can connect to the world.  My techy friend, Melanie Holtsman, has been sending me links to Kathy's work for years.  I started by downloading a paper copy of the book.  As I sat down this morning in my comfortable chair with my paper copy of the book, I soon realized this was going to be a different reading experience indeed!  There are live links throughout the book and I wasn't ten pages in before I had to get up out of my comfy chair, go to my computer, and check out one of the videos.  A few more pages and I had to see if my Skype account was still active.  I was remembering how we Skyped a teacher who went to Japan last year for the opening of the games of Major League Baseball.  The kids were so excited.  Why haven't I used that more in my classroom?  It really wasn't so hard - except for managing the time difference.  So as I searched first grade teachers in Skype, I tried to think of a project that might be interesting.  We have just started a new author study so I put in a request for any class that might also be studying Mem Fox.  We'll see what turns up!

Twenty pages in and I've reconnected with my Twitter account (which I admit to not using very much - I just couldn't seem to find MY place on Twitter), because Kathy suggested searching by the hashtag #1stchat! An hour later and I've been through dozens of links to amazing suggestions and apps. Can't wait to get to Chapter 6 which is all about Twitter!

Now this is going to be one interesting read!  I think I need a more comfortable chair at my computer! So... back to the "book" - but I just had to take a moment to share!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased to hear that you are enjoying my book! It sounds like you are already well on your way to becoming a connected educator. I hope my book can continue to inspire you to connect your classroom.
And you know Melanie Holtsman? What a wonderful resource she is for you as well. I think very highly of her.

john in nc said...

Dayle - Exciting that you like the book and see its value to teachers who are ready to "make the shift" to connected learning with their young students. The eBook is currently sold as an interactive PDF file, and I personally think the perfect way to read it is with an iPad, Kindle Fire or similar tablet device. You can snuggle up in your comfy chair and still be - um - connected!

Melanie Holtsman said...

Love it! And hashtags do really make a difference and filter down to what you really want to know. Love the work Kathy is doing way up north, can't wait to see if it transforms some of our work way down south :)