Thursday, October 2, 2008

Elluminate

So... what were you doing at 10 pm last night? Well, I was gathered with a small group of risk takers in Melanie Holtsman's den, learning to use a new tool called Elluminate! Melanie invited several teachers to join her for a live Internet chat with a college class of pre-service teachers in Canada and practicing teachers from around North America. The college course introduces novice educators to blogging by asking them to choose an educational blog to follow, comment often and take a sincere interest. First grade teacher Maria Mallon and fourth grade teacher Meli Launey joined other teachers from across the Americas, telling the college students about their particular blogs at Chets Creek. The 10 pm time was due to instructor Dean Shareski's college class meeting in a time zone three hours earlier. Sure, we could have each joined the Elluminate discussion from our own homes (and maybe because of this experience, next time we will), but it is always easier to try something so new in the presence of friends! At least they can help you appear not quite so stupid in the presence of technology greatness!

I guess that's one of the things that I love so much about Chets Creek, and one of the reasons that it would be so hard to ever leave - there is always something new to learn, people who are willing to take risks with you and put themselves on the cutting edge. They keep my zone of proximal development at the very edge of my ability (sort of like the edge of a cliff!) and ALWAYS offer the scaffolding that I need to fly with the eagles! Elluminate... here I come!

6 comments:

Melanie Holtsman said...

Not only are you the queen, but you're the Queen Risk Taker. Thanks for joining us for our meeting and always pushing me to try new things!

Unknown said...

Hi Dayle,

Thanks for the Elluminate mention. If you'd like your own free 2-person virtual room to experiment with, Elluminate vRoom is available at www.getvroom.com.

And since you are a primary inclusion teacher, you may be interested in this story about a teacher in New York who used Elluminate for an online debate program for special needs kids:
http://www.elluminate.com/sales/casestudies/nycdistrict75.jsp

Keep on Elluminating!

- Beth, Elluminate Goddess of Communication

Suzanne said...

I heard it was great! I can't wait to go back and read all the chat on the back channel. I'm really intrigued by the process, although, at 10 pm, not quite motivated enough to get out of bed and hang near the edge of the cliff. :)

Maria Mallon & Cheryl Dillard said...

dayle,
I'm with you and Melanie. It was so much fun and I enjoyed the experience. What's next? :)

Meli O'Leary said...

I enjoyed experiencing Elluminate with you guys. I'm so excited I was there. What a crazy (and probably soon to be normal) way to take a college course. The ten o'clock time didn't bother me too much because we had cookies and chips to keep us awake. (Thank you for hosting Melanie.)


Did you really post that blog at 12:23 in the a.m? You really are a risk taker:)

Anonymous said...

What a treat for my students to have an opportunity to participate and learn from great teachers.

From what I know of Melanie and Chets Creek, it seems like an awesome place of learning. I know you will offer my students a great experience.

The only bad thing is you had better snacks than me.