Monday, October 4, 2010

My Life as a Reader

My teaching partner, Tracy Ruark and I actually just did this lesson, "My Life as a Reader" for the children in our classroom last week. We wanted them to know how reading effects our own lives so they could see all the ways that we use reading in our daily life. We then had the children write about their lives as readers.


I love, love, love to read. I read fiction. Right now on my nightstand is Barbara Delinsky's The Secret Between Us - a new author for me. My favorite author is Jodie Piccoult but I've read everything she's written so I'm just waiting until her next release. I just loved her last book about a young man with Asperger's Syndrome. Reading is relaxing for me and I most often read laid out on my comfy sofa or in bed before I go to sleep. Probably my most favorite place to read is in the late afternoon at the beach.

When I was young, reading was a way to escape - a way to imagine living in a perfect world of dreams and imagination. I think I still read fiction for that reason. The problem is that I often get so involved in a story line that I just can't put the book down. I have been known to read all night long - especially during vacations! That's one of the reasons that I read People and Southern Living and right now, I'm reading wedding magazines because my daughter is "that" age! Magazines have shorter articles and I can pace myself better! I'm not as tempted to do an all-nighter.

I also read non-fiction. I have three books about teaching reading and writing on my night stand right now. I usually make myself read the nonfiction books before I allow myself the pleasure of reading fiction! If I'm honest I'd have to admit to doing most of my reading these days on the Internet, so I'm probably reading more non-fiction than I imagine. I'm always searching for something new to use in my classroom. I also read lots of blogs. Reading is a big part of my life. I can't imagine life without something good to read!  Hope that love for reading is contagious and that each child in my class catches it before theyear is out!


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I really wasn't a reader until after college. I wish now, as an avid reader, I would have discovered books earlier in life. Now, I feel like I'm just playing catch up!

I love both authors you mention and have read everything that they have written. I'm reading random authors right now and can't wait until I discover the next one that captures my attention to the point that I read for weeks at a time before consuming all they've written.

I, too, reward myself with a fiction book or two after I reading a professional text.

Melanie Holtsman said...

We are the same kind of readers and even though it sounds funny to "reward" yourself with some good fiction...don't we all wish kids felt that way? I didn't know you were reading Barbara Delinsky. I have read most of her books and prefer her newer books. She is a good, relaxing author to read. I didn't know we both read People! I just started getting it on my iPad. That is pretty darn cool. If you need some more author recommendations, you know I'm your girl!