Wednesday, September 2, 2009

She's the Apple of My Eye


I have mentored new teachers for the past ten years while I have been a Literacy Coach at Chets Creek. It's part of my job as a Coach and also as a National Board Certified Teacher but it is also a part of my heart. The older I get the more I realize that I have an obligation - a moral reponsibility - to share what I have learned. In fact, it's one of the reasons I felt so compelled to begin this blog. I have always felt like I am part of an amazing school that is different from the norm in so many ways and that we must share what we learn, that we must be transparent and honest, and that we are called to use what we know to train up a new generation of teachers. Maybe it's a little sappy to think about legacy but I do feel like we are forging a path for others to follow and eventually lead.

This year, I have the opportunity to mentor my own daughter as she joins the profession for her very first year. When I approached her about writing a "she said/ he said" sort of blog as a teacher and mentor but also as a mother and daughter, Courtney never hesitated. We have begun that path and I hope you will take a moment and visit our blog, will leave a message for Courtney supporting her first attempts at blogging, and will recommend the blog to any beginning teachers that you might know.

This is a journey that truly touches my heart! Join me!

1 comment:

Mrs. Lauren Skipper said...

Love the new blog! Just added it to my "reader".